13.9.14

HAPPY BIRTHDAY POOKIE


Pookie was born somewhere in London in September 1998. Nobody knew exactly her birth date. My son lived in London at that time and I was on a visit in November. It was an awful day and I just said "the house seems so empty" when he suddenly got up, disappeared and came back a couple of hours later.



With an adorable little kitten, a basket, litterbox, bowls and kitten food. These are the only pictures I have from Pookie when she was about 6 weeks old. She was for sale in a pet shop and my son had fallen in love with her at the first sight. She lived with him and a year later with Kim in London. Then his office sent him to Amsterdam. He tried to keep the cats in his flat, but Kim got so depressed that he asked me if we could take both cats for 6 months the time he was supposed to work in Amsterdam. In 2003 Pookie and Kim moved into our house and the 6 months are still lasting.



Everything went well and both cats settled in nicely with Arthur but then Rosie arrived. Pookie from the very beginning didn't like her and it hasn't changed until today. When Rosie was a baby she let her sleep besides her not too close, but once grown up, they hissed at each other each time they met. And that hasn't changed ever since.



Over the years Pookie became my favorite model for photo themes. She posed for "T" = Toaster, "R" for remote control, "K" for keys etc. She seemed to be offended when I took pictures of Rosie !



She was the same clever girl as ever until last year, when she started to loose weight although she ate like a horse. It got a little better when her teeth were removed.





Now she is 16 years old and still very clever, but she can't jump anymore she has arthritis in her back. She also became a real chatterbox and meows the whole morning for food or water from the tap ! But otherwise she is still very affectionate and the same efficient mouse hunter and brings us mousie corpses to step on, or even living once which Mr. G. has to catch and set them free in the garden.



For her birthday I bought a cat fountain for her (and for me, not for drinking but for my tranquility) because I became her personal lift to the sink ! I found this one on Internet and hope it will arrive next week and I can stop cat lifting !

10 comments:

Linens and Royals said...

Happy Sweet 16th Birthday Pookie.
What a wonderful birthday gift you are being given, I think you will love your new fountain. Lots of purrs and pats are coming your way from Charlotte and me.

Pammy Murphy said...

Happy Birthday to sweet Pookie! I have a kitten named Pookie who is five months old. He is a sleek black kitty with green eyes.

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Happy birthday, Pookie! I hope you enjoy your fountain! We have a ceramic one and we all love it!

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Happy Birthday sweet Pookie. Sie ist eine ausgeprägte Persönlichkeit, wie all deine Katzen. Da bin ich neugierig mit dem Zimmerbrunnen. Ich habe auch schon über die Anschaffung nachgedacht.
Schöne Grüße, Johanna

Hannah and Lucy said...

Happy Birthday Pookie. A water fountain just for you - what a wonderful gift from Gatina. We hope you drink from it lots and lots.
Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

Mr Puddy said...

Sweet 16th !
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Miss Pookie !!!
Have an pawsome time with your fameowly :)
As much as I grow up, I do meow more and more too.
And Water Fountain ! That's cool present,p. You are a lucky kitty :)
Lots of love
xox

Angel Gracie=^o.o^= said...

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday. I hope you had a fun filled day! I loved seeing all the photos of you and your family.

Katnip Lounge said...

Happy (belated) Birthday, Pookie! You sure knew the right hearts to warm up to!

Zoolatry said...

Happy Birthday, purrty Pookie girl!

Marilia said...

Happy Birthday Pookie!!!!!!!!